Centennial Secondary School with Engineers Without Borders - Lehigh Valley
- Donors: Engineers Without Borders - Lehigh Valley Professional Chapter
- Location: Matru Jong, Sierra Leone
- Date Started: March 2011
- Date Completed: November 2011
- System Size: 370 Watts
- Direct Beneficiaries: 1500
The Centennial Secondary was founded in 1955 by the United Brethren Church. It initially operated as a boarding school with about 300 students. In 1970s and 1980s (when the alumni that are working with us attended), the school was well maintained and managed. There was electricity in most buildings, supplied by a generator system. The school also had a distributed water supply, plumbing and flush toilets.
Some infrastructure began to fall into disrepair in late 1980s, early 1990s; sometime around then, it stopped taking boarders and became a day school. When the war broke out, Centennial closed. The RUF occupied it for awhile and the school was not reopened until 2002. By that time, all electric and plumbing was gone or beyond repair.
Today, the school has about 1500 students -- 6 levels, both Junior and Senior. EWB's plan is to work on all aspects of infrastructure at Centennial over the next 5 years. This phase provided power for lighting of three classrooms for night study and a charging station that can be used to create revenue for the school and the upkeep of the system. Some aspects - additional lighting, water pumping -- will require more electric power. As EWB are “very interested to work with EFO on future solar projects", we hope this is the start of a long term partnership that will bring dramatic developments to the school and community.